Event start from 21 – 22 JULY 2017
Daughter of legendary Alleycats member Loganathan. Her single “Cleverly” went to number one in the UK Soul Charts.
KOTA KINABALU, 7 July 2017: The Kota Kinabalu Jazz Festival 2017 (KKJF) launched its 11th edition on Friday, 7th July 2017 at PACIFICITY Sales Gallery, Wisma Hakka. The annual fund-raising jazz extravaganza is jointly organized by the Rotary Club of Kota Kinabalu (RCKK) and the Society of Performing Arts Kota Kinabalu, Sabah (SPArKS). Staged in the picturesque city of Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, the jazz festival brings together a musical melting pot of talents from around the world. KKJF recorded a crowd of over 4,000 people during the two-night performance in the previous 2016 event.
Led by Taiwan national saxophone competition winner, Dr. William Chien, this ensemble of top Taiwanese musicians performs a mix of jazz, blues, gospel, and classical.
Organizing Chairman of the festival Rtn. Jack Ong mentioned in his speech that the money raised from ticket sales is used to fund deserving community projects of RCKK. Some projects funded by the jazz festival include the provision of clean water projects, literacy programs, avoidable blindness campaign to detect eye diseases early and free medical services for rural communities, environment protection programs and building of boarding homes for rural children so they do not have to walk 2 hours to school every morning. Apart from that, the objectives of the festival are to provide budding local Sabahan bands a platform to showcase their talents during an international festival, collaborate with international artists at the festival and to create a tourism event for both tourists and locals to enjoy.
“PACIFICITY is proud to sponsor the 11th KK Jazz Festival 2017 and to be a part of this exciting event. At PACIFICITY, we believe in developing local talents and we are committed to continuously support the government’s initiatives in cultivating arts and culture here in Sabah,” said the Managing Director of PACIFICITY, Jonathan Wheeler.
SHUN NG & THE SHUNETTES
This fingerstyle guitarist, vocalist and acclaimed international performer is back. Featuring the Malaysian finalist in the 3rd Season of The Voice of China 2014,
PACIFICITY, a 25-acre mixed-use development offering fully-furnished residences, signature offices, luxury hotels and a shopping mall located along the coastal highway of scenic Likas Bay, places a strong emphasis on creating an integrated lifestyle hub that will cater to the needs of Sabahans and the tourist community. The team behind PACIFICITY are also launching a string of boutique resorts around Sabah under their Borneo Kiim brand. These resorts present the rich tapestry of culture and arts in unique settings with luxurious accommodation. The first of these resorts is slated to open later this year in Tambunan, a hill resort town just about an hour plus away from Kota Kinabalu.
Co-chairman of the festival and SPArKS President, Roger Wang, unveiled that this year the festival will feature three international bands and musicians, together with nine award winning Malaysian talents and bands that will join the line-up for the exciting two-night concert. Famous Malaysian celebrity TV host & emcee, Sabahan’s Daphne Iking, will be the emcee for the festival again this year.
The line-up of performers for the festival this year in alphabetical order are;
1. Borneo Big Band (Malaysia): Led by Tamparuli born Joan Jim, this ensemble of highly talented Sabahan musicians will amaze you with their repertoire of sophisticated jazz, dance and Latin music.
2. Dasha Logan (Malaysia): Daughter of legendary Alleycats member Loganathan. Her single ‘Cleverly’ went to Number 1 in the UK Soul Charts.
3. Dominant 5th of Borneo (Malaysia): Known as D5OB, this Sabahan pop fusion band represented Malaysia at the Yamaha Music’s Asian Beat Competition in Japan.
4. Good Messenger (Taiwan): Led by Taiwan national saxophone competition winner, Dr. William Chien, this ensemble of top Taiwanese musicians performs a mix of jazz, blues, gospel, and classical.
5. Gordon Chin (Malaysia): Gordon won the Penang International Fingerstyle Competition 2016 and landed an endorsement deal with Lindsay Marcus Guitars.
6. Kangkung Belacan (Malaysia): Sabahan Jazz piano prodigy – Alton Wong, is back from winning first place at the 2017 Malaysia Jazz Piano Festival. Also featuring multi-talented group – BEZA and jazz violinist, Joanna Ho.
Combining pentatonic traditions of the East, soulful bluesy tone and contemporary dub-style arrangements, NAFAS conjures a future world-jazz, dub-soul synergy.
7. Nafas (Ireland / Malaysia): Combining pentatonic traditions of the East, soulful bluesy tone and contemporary dub-style arrangements, NAFAS conjures a future world-jazz, dub-soul synergy.
8. Origen (Spain): The first authentic Spanish Flamenco Ensemble to perform in Sabah. Pure flamenco music coupled with its famous dance structure. A MUST attend for all dance lovers.
9. Rainbow Children (Malaysia): This passionate union of 10 stellar musicians is Asia’s first and only Prince-inspired tribute band.
10. Rozella (Malaysia): Winner of Tiger Jams 2016, this Sabahan singer-songwriter latest single ‘Home to You’ was handpicked for an exclusive remix by Scottish synth pop band Chvrches.
11. Sada Borneo (Malaysia): Asia’s Got Talent 2015 finalists who brought the Bornean traditional sound to an international stage.
12. Shun Ng & The Shunettes (Singapore / USA): This fingerstyle guitarist, vocalist and acclaimed international performer is back! This time with the Shunettes and featuring Malaysian finalist in the 3rd Season of The Voice of China 2014, Melody Tan!
For More Info:
Time: 7:00PM – 11:00PM
Venue: Covered Tennis Court Sutera Harbour Resort